|#55 (#166267) "Battle Hymn"
Teleplay By: Herman Miller (also #1, 2 & 3) Story By: D. C. Fontana*2*
Directed By:: Barry Crane (also #44)
First Broadcast: February 8, 1975 (Saturday)
Guest Stars: Jose Feliciano, Beverly Garland, Joe Maross, John Bennett Perry, Special Guest Star: Julian "Cannonball" Adderly
Regular Cast: David Carradine, Philip Ahn, Keye Luke, Radames Pera
Available on VHS Now
Kung Fu Collector's Edition
- "'Master, as I walk these roads, are there none I may call on for help when I need help?' - Caine
'None.' - Po
'Would this not be useful?' - Caine
'To those who would destroy us. In the past when we have relied on our great teachers to lead us our enemies in high and low places could deal us a mortal blow by simply lopping off our heads. Now in our oneness, we are not like a great beast which may be destroyed by a single well planned strike to the brain. Rather, we are like an ocean of many waves or a field of flowers. Though one or more be uprooted, the others still live with a life of their own.' - Master Po
'As a wave upon this ocean, a single flower in a field of many, what will the people ask of me?' - Caine
'To lead them against their enemies: the despots, the tyrants - wickedness, iniquities, ignorance, persecution, superstition, dishonor.'" - Master Po
- "I have no money." - Caine
- "'May I ask, Master, when I leave the temple, what will be expected of me?' - Caine
'To walk the roads of the land and use what you have learned for the needs and benefits of the people.' - Master Po
'Will I always know when to act and when to stand off?' - Caine
'That which you do not know, the doing will quickly teach you.'" - Master Po
- "This cousin of yours. . . . I would very much like to meet him." - Caine, offering to take a blind man to his cousin
- "I have no pockets." - Caine
- "I am telling the truth." - Caine, when accused of lying
- "Body and mind are one. . . . What else could a man seek except this unity?' - Caine, when Master Po asks him about the years of rigor and discipline
'As a wise farmer puts back into the land at least as much as he has taken, so soon must you give back to others what you have taken for yourself.' - Master Po
'I am ready.' - Caine
'You are ready. . . . Ready, indeed.'" - Master Po, after Caine beats him in a match
- The flashbacks in this episode seem to be just before Caine takes the final tests and leaves the temple.
- When leaving a horse he has lead for a couple of days, Caine says good-bye (with gestures).
- During the opening scene for this episode, Caine shaves his head (which Carradine did for "Besieged" so this scene was filmed before "Besieged" was shot though the production number doesn't reflect that).
- A new flute is made for Caine in this episode.