|#2 (Prod #166142) "Dark Angel"
Teleplay By: Herman Miller (also #1, 3 & 55 and producer the last year and a half)
Directed By: Jerry Thorpe (also pilot & #1, 3, 4, 16, 18 & 40 producer)
First Broadcast: ABC, November 11, 1972
Guest Stars: John Carradine, Robert Carradine
Special Guest Star: Dean Jagger
Technical and Kung Fu Advisor: David Chow, Assistant Kung Fu Coordinator: Kam Yuen
Regular Cast: David Carradine, Philip Ahn, Keye Luke, Radames Pera
[Revised and Expanded - March 22, 2004]
"'What endures, Master?' -young Caine
David Carradine as Kwan Chang Caine
and John Carradine as Serenity Johnson
'The sun endures. The moon endures. Life endures.'" -Master Po
- "The present is rooted in the past. It is through these roots we draw nourishment and strength." -Master Po
- "I remember a troubled, quiet man. It was as though he could not rest in this new country, yet remained for my mother's sake.... He was an American. He once told me of the place where he was born. I have never forgot the name. Lordsville." -Caine on his father
- "What kind of man would bring in a dead body without checking what that body would offer? In my opinion, an honest man." -Serenity about Caine
- "'You don't say much, little brother.' -Serenity to and about Caine
'You wish to hear words?' - Caine
'One or two might not be amiss. You were in a little trouble back there.'
"I would have had some difficulty.' -Caine
'Nevertheless, you have done me a great service. To thank you with words would be to cheapen the gift.'
'...This is home, little brother. Stay if you like.'
'I am grateful.'"
- "It is a Shaolin belief that the paternal line controls." -Master Kan
'What is a man without roots?'
'What is a tree without roots? The deeper into the earth the roots reach, the stronger the tree." -Master Kan
"'A name. A face in my mind. A place. It is all I know of my father: one half of myself - an emptiness; a mystery.' -Caine
'Seek to discover it, then, for it is this thread which holds you to the past and binds you to the future to fix your place for all time in eternity.'" -Master Kan
- "'Brothers? Sisters?' -asked by Caine's grandfather's "housekeeper"
'I have none.'
'You have one: Brother. Half-brother, I guess. Your father was married once before, He'd be about three, four years older than you. Named Danny.'
'Maybe he knows.'" -meaning Caine's grandfather who isn't around at the moment"
- "'You owe me, little brother.' -Serenity
'I have acknowledged it.' -Caine
'As an honest man, you could do no less.... -Caine turns over to Serenity a map a dying man gave him 'Do you know what you have given me?'
'I do not want it.'
'When I build my church, your name will go up there in gold letters.'
'I do not believe you intend to build your church with that.'" -Caine
- "'What? Sad, grasshopper?' -Master Po
'My sadness is for you. Never to see the clouds. Never to see the sun on the water. Or the plumage of a bird.' -disciple Caine
'Yet sometimes it is eyes that blind a man.'
'How can this be?'
'Because he has eyes, he does not look. Is the bird only the color of his plumage?'
'None should think so.'
'To be at one with the universe is to know bird, sun, cloud. How much would a man lose if he then loses his eyes?'"
- "'You are alive.' -Caine to the newly blinded Serenity Johnson
'Who would know it?' -the embittered and drunk Serenity
'Are you in pain?'
'I've known better days.'
'Are you in pain?'
'Listen.' -Caine strike's a match and then moves it close to Serenity's hand
'Are you going to set me on fire, little brother?'
"I have no match.' -Caine, telling a lie to prove a point
'What do you take me for?'
'A blind man. Yet you felt it.... heard it.... smelt it... Blind. Yet you know who stands before you. You know I have a match in my hand.' Caine gets up and moves away from the bed. 'Reach out and touch me.'
'If my arms were longer.'
'You saw me move.'
'With these?' -Serenity referring to his now useless eyes
'Yet you know where I am.'
'Your voice comes from where you are. I heard your footsteps.'
Caine picks up a lamp and goes back to sit by Serenity 'Tell mw what I have in my hands. You know.'
'The smell of kerosene.... The lamp.'
'Is it lit? You have ears. Do you hear a flame?'
'It's off.' Serenity shaking his head
'For a blind man, large brother, how much you know.'
"You're tainted. Tainted with death. Look at it." Caine's grandfather points to the grave of his wife, blaming her death on his son's marriage "You were born out of a grave. I should have died before I saw you. Let me be dead before I see you again."
Pilot & First Season
Available on DVD
- "There is no need to torture the old man any further. The map you seek was given to me. The gold it is on Indian land. It would be dangerous even for men like you to try and take it." -Caine
- "'Are you alive?' -Caine trying to give hope to Serenity
'Not helpless. I can teach you. You need not be helpless.'
'Not useless, either. Your congregation needs you.'"
- "'Answer a question.' -Serenity
'If I can.' -Caine
'You taught me to listen beneath the words... I hear something in you.... I hear a man torn. You've made a commitment to me. As an honest man you could do no less. I tell you straight out: I can take care of myself. I free you from that commitment. There's nothing to hold you now.'"
- "'What do you want?' -asked of Caine by his grandfather's 'housekeeper' after Caine has been sitting in the graveyard outside their home
'What is rightfully mine. Roots. My heritage.' -Caine
'You'll never get it. It's been 10 days. Without food. Without water. He'll let you die.' -on the grandfather
'Then I will die.'" -Caine
- "'You have your father in you. I have nothing to give you.' -said to Caine by his grandfather.
'Through you I have a father, a grandfather, a great grandfather stretching back to the roots of time.'
'You have a brother. These letters from him I never answered. Take them. Find him. This was my father's. This was your father's. It's all I have.'" And his grandfather turns his back on Caine and walks away
- "'Part of it is yours.' -Serenity to Caine on his newly completed church
'It honors me.... You will look in on my grandfather? ...I will never forget you.'" -Caine as he leaves
- According to Serenity, Caine's grandfather drove his father with his Chinese wife from his house, so perhaps Caine's parents came there and then went back to China. (Yet the grandfather asks Kwai Chang what his mother looked like.)
- His grandfather gave Caine Danny's letters and a ring that was his father's and a watch that was his great grandfather's.
- Even though this is soon after he arrives in the United States, Caine can already read English (evidenced by the fact that he can and does look up the records of his father's birth).
- There are two sequels to the story of Serenity Johnson and they are told in #36 and #58 and there is a sequel to the story of Caine's grandfather which is told in #45 & 46.
- "To accept destiny is to face life with open eyes... whereas not to accept destiny is to accept life blindfolded." - Caine*2*p15